Thursday, July 18, 2013

Random Thursday - Welcome to the Family!

As many of you know, we lost our four legged fur baby - Bella, only a few months ago. As time has passed, Jeff and I have felt our hearts healing and started the conversation about adopting a new baby. After speaking with a friend from church who is an animal foster mommy, she told us of a wonderful placed called the Pet Placement Center where we could go visit and meet some kittens. We love doggies but are most certainly a kitty cat family - even my husband. Believe it or not, that is not something I had to covert him too. We both had dogs and cats growing up but our preference is cats because they are just so much easier. Yes, I know this puts us in the minority.

Many years ago when we first took Bella to the Vet, I remember someone telling us that you don't pick your pet, your pet picks you. Based on the story Jeff shared with me of how he chose Bella, this rang true. And once again, the theory has proven correct!

Let me just tell you about this Pet Placement center. First off, they are a no kill shelter which I proudly support. If we are going to have to put our money somewhere when adopting, why not support a facility such as theirs. All of the animals seemed very much at home and very happy to be there. It was as though it was actually their home and they were just allowing the humans to come in and hang out. They (the humans) showed us to a kitten room to meet all of the available babies. Yes, you read that correctly....a kitten room!! Are you kidding me? I don't care if you are a dog person, cat person, elephant person, whatever....when you walk into that kitten room your heart melts. I litterly wanted to do snow angels on the floor in between all the kittens.
Somehow someway in the kitty room, Jeff and I managed to find not one but two kittens. Keep in mind that our original plan was to find one girl kitten. I chatted with the front desk about these two babies and soon discovered that not only were they both boys but also brothers. As I walked back into the kitten room I realized the truth of the situation. Yup...we are going home with not one but two boy kittens. How did that happen?! We didn't pick them, they picked us!

Let me be the first to tell you - they are perfect and amazing and we would not have any other way. Plus, they are able to keep each other company when we are not home which is great for them!

Bringing our boys home for the first time!

Sophie was esctatic when we surprised her with them. As she peered into the carrier and saw more then one, she looked up at us and said - "Wow, how many kitties did you get me?" As though it was a clown car and they just kept coming out one right after the other. We explained to her that we only two and they are boys (we may or may not have told her that they were "out" of girls at the pet store) but by this point she could have cared less. She was over the moon with our new fur babies!

Meeting the boys for the first time!


They have been amazing! They are only 13 weeks but little fur balls of perfection. I do love the fact though that they already have very distinct personalities. However, they both LOVE to cuddle and play which is perfect for us. Jeff insisted on the names King and Flash and given the fact that it was his birthday and everything else in our house is so incredibly pink and girly, I decided to let him have this "win". 

King is my maiden name and since this is not exactly a first name you can bestow upon a child, our pet is the next best option. King is more laid back, chill, and a total mama's boy cuddle bug.


Flash's name fits him perfectly. He is much more flashy and loves being the center of attention. He has really bonded with Sophie and LOVES to play with her. She will roll a ball and he will, no kidding, fetch it and bring it back to her.

Flash lasted less then 24 hours before Sophie had him in a dress!

FYI - King and Flash are also the nicknames of Jeff's two favorite basketball players, Lebron James and Dwayne Wade from the Miami Heat.

I am well aware that I have managed to turn a whole post into sharing about our new kittens. However, since I have a husband and child I think (fingers crossed) this disqualifies me as being able to fall into the catagory of crazy cat lady. Right?!


Yes, they have slept with us every night and are the best cuddle bugs ever!

We will always hold a special place in our hearts for Bella but it sure is great be able to once again give a loving home to two fur babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment