Monday, September 30, 2013

Mommy Monday - Brave Disciple Mom

As much as I would love to claim all of this post as my own - no can do. Recently, I was lucky enough to hear Jen Hatmaker speak while at my conference. What an amazing example of complete and total surrender to God and his plan for her and her family. Such a faithful servant who is no doubt spreading the word of God just as he intended for her to do.
 
If you are unfamiliar with her, as a fellow mama and wife, check her out! Amazing, hilarious, touching, relatable, and her walk with God is inspiring. The knowledge and experiences he has given her to share with other women is a blessing!
 
 
When Jen (I say "Jen" as though we are on a first name basis. Sadly, we are not.) spoke at the conference she shared about how kids need to be kids. Now a days, fear threatens to ruin the journey of motherhood. Fear has turned us into hovering parents. Parents who are afraid to let their children walk to the mailbox, afraid to let their children play on outside, just afraid. Of course as parents we want to protect our children but instead we are sometimes doing more hard then good. They live in a bubble that is preventing them from learning important lessons in life. Lessons that teach them about life experiences, that sometimes you will fail and that is ok, sometimes you will be scared and that is ok. As my new bff Jen said - we sanitize their lives but this will never be the mark of true discipleship. Do we want our children to have a safe and happy life or an obsession for the kingdom that may sometimes take them out of "our" safety zone?
 
The trials and tribulations in our lives is when we have learned the most. Our job is not to shelter them from everything too hard but to parent them through it. Our children need to be prepared to journey into this broken world.
 
Scared moms raise scared kids -
Brave moms raise brave kids -
Disciple moms raise disciple kids.
 
We must live it ourselves or we have no hope of leading it. We must live a life worthy of having our children follow. We are servants meant to love others and we only need God's approval.
 
I told you Jen Hatmaker was good! Now you see why I am all about exchanging BFF necklaces with her!
 
As for me, my personal journey continues for a calling that I know God has placed upon my life. I feel him preparing me for something. Now, what that something is, I do not know. Of course being the organized and always prepared gal that I am, this has been a challenge for me. Yet again though, I feel that it is all part of the journey he has me on. I feel him working though me every single day. Teaching me and showing me things that I have never understood before. Opening doors through which maybe I would not have traveled in the past. A fire and a passion to be his disciple through everything that I do in my life. A true disciple.
 
In recent weeks, I have felt a new pressing on my heart. A pressing that this journey God is leading me on is going to involve some sacrifice. Maybe a sacrifice with my career maybe not. I am not sure how, what, or where he is leading me but he is doing something and the ever present tug on my heart and message from him is more clear now then ever.
 
I want to be a brave disciple mom raising a brave disciple child!
 
   
 

3 comments:

  1. love you. i miss you-just from our one weekend together. I feel the same thing. God is preparing me for some big discussions with my family. I am unsure of where he is leading me. I know that he has convinced me that I was not leaving room for him in my life. and I am not magically going to find more time. It is going to require sacrifice. BUT he is worth it. The only thing that counts is what we do for the Kingdom! Let's walk one night or meet up. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME TOO - MISS YOU TOO! Going into withdrawl! Oh he is working my friend and while its kinda scary....its a wonderful and exciting scaring! I really want to talk to you about this in more detail. Will holler at you so we can schedule something!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete