Monday, November 25, 2013

Mommy Monday - Rejoice in the Thanksgiving Madness

Thanksgiving is upon us! Last week we officially kicked things off with Sophie's Thanksgiving feast at preschool. We were both so excited that Daddy was able to sneak away from work this year to join us!



There is a small possibility that at this point, we may have had too many sweets. Someone brought munchkins from Dunkin Doughnuts for the dessert table. While I am fully aware that this is not normally a Thanksgiving esque food - I applaud their courage. I LOVE me some doughnuts, like seriously I cannot say no to them and then with the munchkins, I reason that I can eat more of them because they are not as large. Yes, I know, my head can be a scary place sometimes people!


That was the calm before the storm - even on a sugar high. Now - we have entered the madness and Thanksgiving week is here! I have final things to purchase, last minute grocery runs, cleaning, etc.. Instead of focusing on my very long to do list between now and Thursday, let's be honest - Wednesday night, I am striving to focus on what is really important at Thanksgiving. I am so determined to keep my focus bright and appreciative rather then stressed and border line crazy, that I even added the "no stress" clause to my lengthy to do list. Just kidding.....maybe.

I have a distinct problem of always wanting everything to be perfect. I want the perfect table settings, perfect menu, perfect Thanksgiving weather, perfectly clean house - you get the picture. All of these "perfections" start running through my mind and for some stupid reason I keep reaching for them.....as though they are possible. Then, before I know it, I am so wrapped up in trying to make it all happen that I miss what is really important. What really matters is our blessings and the THANKS in Thanksgiving! We should instead  focus on being thankful for the blessing of our family. Thankful for the laughter and experiences that fuse together to form our memories for years to come. What a precious gift of family that our heavenly Father gave us to love and nurture. This gift allows us to have a better understanding of the depth of his great love for us and even then, it just barely skims the surface! 

As those dishes are piled high in the sink, cups are scattered all around, and suitcases with clothes are strewn all about - I am going to chose to rejoice in the madness and imperfections! Rejoice in the laughter from Sophie and her cousins as they play together. Rejoice in the blessing of  too many dirty dishes to even count because it means we are surrounded by good food and lots of family. Rejoice in my favorite bottle of wine as the madness around me whirls. I will not concern myself with the storms that lie in the distance of coming weeks. This week - I will REJOICE in our Thanksgiving. I will REJOICE in my blessings and family but most especially, I will REJOICE and give THANKS to our most amazing Lord above!!

No comments:

Post a Comment