Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mommy Monday - Compassion

I feel compelled to share something that has become so very near and dear to my heart over the past 5 months. During a ladies conference in September, I was presented with the opprotunity to "sponsor" a child through the wonderful organization - Compassion.
 
"Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults."
 
I wasn't sure it was something we even wanted to do or much less commit too. However, as they passed around the cards to people who were interested, I felt a tug at my heart and butterflies in my stomach. I felt God telling me to hold out my hand. As I received my card I still thought well maybe I will just check it out. You know, do some research to make sure it is all legit of course and then go from there. Then, as looked down and stared into these precious eyes with her beautiful yellow dress and sweet matching yellow socks -  

 
I knew this is exactly what God wanted us to do. Jeff only confirmed my thoughts when he undoubtly agreed without giving it a second thought. Madelin Fernanda Rivera Gonzalez from El Salvador, whew - that is a mouthful for this southern girl, is now an official member of our family. Jeff and I hope to raise enough money next year to join a mission trip and meet her in person.

This is the first "letter" we received from her telling us all about herself with a little picture as well. Lucky for us they have translators!

 
We have $38 drafted from our account every month to sponsor Madelin for some of her greatest needs. Our money goes towards her education, health care, food, and the opprotunity to learn about Jesus. We also have the wonderful benefit of being able to communicate back and forth with her and share our lives together. The letters allow us to love on her, encourage her future because we believe in her, and most importantly share how much Jesus loves her!
 
I know I sound like one of those commercials that comes on TV begging for your money and I apologize. However, after all of my research and prayers, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is a wonderful organization which I am very passionate about. I love how Sophie has become a part of this journey with us as well. She is learning the importance of giving back to those in need while growing her servants heart for Jesus. We just feel so incredibly blessed to be able to participate in this program and really make a difference in someones life!
 
In the bible Jesus shares with us time and time again how important it is for us to love on the poor and needy. What better example of this then how he led his own life while walking on this earth. He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords but yet he was born in a stable. He could have had all of the glory and riches but yet chose to walk among the poor and forgotten.
 
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in."
Matthew 25:35
   
"Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys."
Luke 12:33
   
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."
Matthew 6:24
 
  If this is something you have ever thought about doing with your family, children, or even on your own, I encourage you to pray about it and check out the Compassion site by Clicking Here. They have some wonderful videos you can view and hear directly from some of the sweet babies (technically they are grown now but I envision them as babies) sharing how this wonderful organization has litterly saved their lives.
 
"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God."
Hebrews 13:16

No comments:

Post a Comment