Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wifey Wednesday - Excess

As I have mentioned in previous posts, we are in the middle of our 7 experiment bible study by Jen Hatmaker. To date, Jeff and I have both fasted food together and then I fasted clothing. What an experience!
 
It is so ironic that I completely though the food fasting would be no big deal while clothing would be more challenging one for me and instead it was the complete opposite! Clothing was really no big deal. I did realize that I care way too much about what my clothing says to other people. Truthfully, if I am being honest, that is not really too much of a shocker. However, I did have the revelation that I really should not care about what someone thinks my clothing says about me but instead let them make judgement based on how I carry myself and my actions. Form their thoughts based on how I am as a faithful follower of Jesus Christ. Of course I have always known that this is how it should be but the depth of this realization is what really struck me. My light should shine so bright for Jesus that it outshines any outfit I may be wearing that day. Of course I have always loved fashion and always will and there is nothing wrong with that because it is an expression of who I am. However, my internal perspective has certainly changed on how I compare and analyze myself through other's eyes.
 
Now on to food. Uh, yeah.....this competely and totally kicked my tail!! Why in the world I thought that it would be easy is beyond me. I mean seriously, what was I even thinking?! I obviously wasn't. Jeff also did this one with me and let me just tell you - without him, I would have put the brakes on it after the first day.
 
We chose to eat only whole wheat bread, eggs, bananas, apples, chicken, rice, and corn while drinking only water. As I type those items I know it really does sound all that bad but don't be fooled because it was. When you are talking about having those as your only food options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - nightmare. Now, do you see how spoiled that sounds? Let me just tell you - I am a foodie all the way and I knew this but what I quickly realized was to what extreme I was a foodie. It got ugly people and so did my attitude.  I realized that to me, a meal is an event and not something I do just put fuel in my body. While the majority of the world is wondering if they will even be able to scrape together enough food for their next meal, I am whining and complaining how they left out 2 Krystals when I ordered my sackful in the Krystal drive thru. Or how in the world did Jeff forget to buy ketchup when he was at the grocery store? I can't eat my meal without ketchup, it will be horrible! Or during breakfast thinking about lunch and during lunch thinking about dinner. Seriously?! Oh yeah, seriously. This is how we rolled. Another classic I love is complaining about how we just do not want to have to eat the leftovers in the fridge for dinner tonight. Gross! Let's go out to eat instead and put crap in our bodies while spending more money. I told you it got ugly!
 
 
The best part of all with the food fast is what I learned. First of all, I learned that my husbands mind over matter mentality is MUCH stronger then mine. I learned how obsessed and spoiled I am by my food. I want what I want when I want it and just how I want it. While we have always been aware of eating well and tried to incorporate this into our family eating habits, we not given much focus to eating clean. We are what we eat, and we are what they eat. Have you ever really stopped to process and think about this?
 
Did you know that (you might want to set down your food for this one) hogs actually have specifically designed pus ducts located above their hooves to regularly drain poisons from their bodies?!?!?!?! And then we turn around and eat pork on a regular basis?!?! I litterly about died when I read this excerpt from our study book. DIED!
 
 
God gave us instructions in the bible on what to eat and what not eat because his is protecting us. Today everything is processed and injected with 10 different things while the "natural" fruits and veggies are sprayed with 11 different things.
 
Since this experience, Jeff and I have made it a point to really try to start eating more clean. We always bought lean, fat free, and all that good stuff but never really focused on the clean aspect. We have been buying organic whenever we can for anything and everything. We have made the move to organic on big items as well such as milk and grass fed beef. Now does this mean we no longer enjoy foodie perks? Of course not!! We are just focusing more on doing a better job with clean eating in our day to day life. We are still going to enjoy our Mexican and little treats and that is ok because it will now at least be with a bit more appreciation and certainly a revised perspective.     

No comments:

Post a Comment