Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mommy Monday - Not So Much A Minute Clinic

So yeah, I have been sick with strep throat the past few days. Jealous?

Let me just tell you, strep throat as an adult is no joke. I had a fever and everything and it's most certainly the real deal and don't let anyone ever tell you different. In the 12 years that Jeff and I have been together, I have never had a  fever - ever! I was chillin like a villian with this thing, huge blisters on my throat, couldn't talk (I am sure the highlight for Jeff), couldn't move - I was dead to the world.

I have horrible allergies so I am used to often times having a sore throat, itchy eyes, the usual stuff so when my sore throat gradually started getting worse, I really did not think too much about it. Then the fever began and it was all downhill from there. I had no choice but to to drag myself to the CVS Minute Clinic because I knew things were bad and I need something ASAP. And when I say drag myself, I mean I really had to actually drag myself. You know I have fallen on bad times when I leave my house with dirty hair, no makeup, and could care less. 

While the doctor at the minute clinic was beyond wonderful, the whole minute clinic name is most certainly not so wonderful or accurate! It took much longer then a minute and while I am sure that is not too shocking to you, in my extreme sickly state, I was banking on that minute. You can imagine my dispair when I arrived and realized I was the third person in line. Through my fog I remember hearing the other people laugh and chit chat as they waited and even as they were being seen by the doctor. As I lay in the fetal position on some germ infested plastic waiting room chairs. I had a vision of ripping into the exam room, and by ripping I mean crawling in there in tears, and telling them that since they were having such a grand 'ole time, would they mind waiting for a few minutes while the doctor checked me out because I was actually sick and not there to exchange best friend necklaces. 

 This is when I realized that it was time to call in the big guns. I started blowing up my Mom's phone telling her that I needed her and she had to get there asap because I was dying and someone would have to come claim my body since no one would recognize it with the greasy hair and no makeup! Bad times I tell you!  Besides, no matter how old you are, when you are that sick all you want is your mama!

By this point, I had changed seats so that I was sitting closer to the bathroom since now I was also feeling extremely nauseous. I was looking for an obstacle free straight shot to the bathroom since I was quickly realizing this was about to become a reality. I reasoned that worse case if I could not make it to the bathroom, at least I could throw up in the hallway and it would be somewhat hidden from everyone because by george I was getting in to see this doctor and would not miss my turn. Then I began to pray and that is when the doors of heaven opened, otherwise known as the exam room doors, and they called my name.

As I left the exam room with prescriptions and instructions in hand, the door opened and there my precious mama sat. I swear there was a heavenly glow around her in that moment and I just about started crying. My mama was there to take care of me and take me home....from a distance though because, as she told me, she didn't want catch this thing either. Luckily I also had a wonderful hubby to take care of me while I recovered from the depths of dispair. 

My one bright spot in all of this is that I lost 5 pounds! Perfectly in accordance with one of my most favorite movie lines ever in "The Devil Wears Prada" - "I am one stomach flu away from my goal weight".   

No comments:

Post a Comment