Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wifey Wednesday - Two Important Lessons

In recent months I feel as though Jeff and I have learned two very important lessons through our devotional time that have significantly strengthened our marriage.  

The first thing we have learned is to focus on the problem and not the person. I know this sounds like a simple thing to do but at least for us, easier said then done. In the heat of the moment it is often very easy to get carried away with what may be nagging at us. Then, rather then addressing the problem, we will often start attacking the person and then we all know how that ends....generally, not well. So, rather then getting caught up in the heat of an argument we have been trying to do a better of taking a time out to focus on the problem. 

Secondly, we have learned the rule of three - Pray God will change me, Pray for my spouse, Pray with my spouse. I have been trying to do a better job of praying for myself before I need to talk with Jeff about something. I pray that I will handle the situation in an appropriate manner rather then lashing out because I do not like the reaction I am receiving from him. This has allowed me to be better equipped for important decisions we may be making together. It has given me a sense of calm. And most importantly, we have tried to do a better job of praying together. As always, there is so much power in prayer and when two people who love each other and have committed their lives to each other come together in prayer with God at the center, anything is possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment