Monday, April 15, 2013

Mommy Monday - Just the Way We Are

One of my main goals in life is to teach this sweet girl the importance loving God and her relationship with him. I want her to know she is beautiful on the inside and outside and that she can do anything! Of course, isn't that what we all want for our children?

(The wind was blowing her hair into her face.)

In our world today it is so hard to remember that we are beautiful just as God made us. I try to make a conscious effort to refrain from "fat" comments about myself or my body when her little ears around. If I am having one of those days where I feel blah or like Friday evening where I may or may not have demolished soft pretzels and a yummy pizza (can we say carb overload?), I try to keep my thoughts to myself. Sophie is incredibly impressionable and soaks in everything like a little sponge. Whether she realizes it or not, I am her example of how to be a woman in this world. Even more importantly, how to be a woman of God. 

I am still young....in the grand scheme of things. However, the number that is beginning to be associated with my birthday - not so easy to digest. I want differerent for Sophie. I want her to be proud of the blessing and gift of growing old. The symbols of our aging should be worn with pride and not embarrassement. Trust me, I know this is so much easier said than done!!! But as I said, these are things I work on every single day. I only hope to have the gift of working on them for years to come as well.

"The silver-haired head is a crown of glory,
It is found in the way of the righteousness."
Proverbs 16:31

*****

Sidenote - A very proud and shallow mommy moment over the weekend that I would like to share. When I picked Sophie up on Friday afternoon she saw my necklace and goes - "Oh mommy, you are wearing your new necklace and I just love it!!"  I.LOVE.IT. And yes, I know it is shallow but I was so very proud. It made me feel so special. For the record, I had showed Jeff my new necklace the previous evening and he did not notice I was wearing it the next day....or at least it did not warrant a comment. One of the trillion and one reasons I love having my best little girlfriend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment