Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wifey Wednesday - Balance, Appreciate, Serve

"A good marriage is good for you. That isn't just a platitude. Mounting research shows that is the literal truth. When your marriage is healthy, your body and mind are heathier."
Author Cliff Isaacson

This makes sense though right?  Happy wife, happy life right? And of course happy husband is important too. I read an article this past weekend and found it very interesting. I have shared bits and pieces below in red -

Three suggestionshow to have and maintain a strong marriage -

1) Maintain balance - If you want a strong marriage then balance is key. Balance between your personal and professional  life leads to having a sustainable family life. To help you maintain a balanced life, schedule time with your spouse. "I believe that being successful means having a balance of success stories across the many areas of your life. You can't truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles. " Zig Ziglar

My thoughts - Our pastor is currently preaching a series on Song of Solomon. He spoke this past Sunday about the importance of dating your spouse. I was nodding my head, elbowing Jeff and throwing out the amens left and right. Then he said that we should allow 10 hours a week of alone time with our spouse and that those 10 hours a week should not include watching TV together. I litterly could hear the brakes in my headsscreeching! 10 hours a week together and watching TV does not count? Whaaaat are you trying to say? We totally bond over watching "The Office" together. Needless to say, something we have started working on because that one on one time together is so very important. My preacher also shared that you should ask them every day during your time together, what was the low point and high point of your day? This will allow you insight and knowledge of what is going on in their life.  

2) Appreciate your greatest asset - your spouse. Show appreciation daily to your spouse through your words and action.

My thoughts - Ok, so I am thinking it is safe to assume that nagging does not count then??

3) Serve at home. Being a servent leader is essential to having a strong marriage. When your spouse feels like they are being served, then the marriage will be stronger. This requires putting your personal needs aside so you can focus and serve your spouse.  When you serve your spouse, it shows them you care and appreciate their needs.

My thoughts - I would like to admit something. Sometimes I may possibly be guilty of not doing something for Jeff because he did not first do it for me. Oh, you would like a drink from the kitchen? Well, I do believe I recall you not making my lunch for work this morning so why should I do something for you? I do not actually reply with this comment but it does occur in my head. Yes, I know - very mature! Truly though, when Jeff first "serves" me, it makes me feel so very special and I am sure it makes him feel the same way. So why not be the one to initiate it? He is a keeper but not only do I want to keep him forever and ever, I want to keep him happy and loved!

"Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ." Ephesians 5:21

No comments:

Post a Comment