Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wifey Wednesday - The Grass Is Greener Where You Water It

Have you ever heard the saying that the grass is greener on the other side? I think sometimes in our marriages we tend to think this way. Not necessarily in reference to our spouse but maybe just someone else's marriage in general. They seem to have everything, no worries, travel all the time, beautiful home, beautiful family - you know the kind. Then one day you hear that they are divorcing.....what?! Isn't it amazing how quickly things can change? But really though, they only changed quickly for us on the outside. Behind closed doors, their marriage had been in turmoil for awhile and they were just very good hiding it.


Is the grass really greener on the other side? No. The grass is greener where you water it. I must admit I stole the inspiration for this post from another blog but I thought it offered a wonderful perspective! I truly believe that Jeff and I have a blessed and solid marriage. However, that doesn't mean we don't have hard times. That doesn't mean we don't disagree and argue because we do! There are times where I feel like that is all we are do. However, it is how you handle those situations that really makes the difference. The other day on the radio I heard someone say that sometimes its a good thing when you argue with your spouse becauses it means you are both still passionate and care. I will try to keep that focus the next time we have a little spat and I feel like beating my head against a brick wall.

As I said though, it is sometimes all about how you deal with those arguments that really makes a difference. I am a very passionate person when I believe in something. Therefore, when we are arguing, if I passionately believe in what I am saying, I will sometimes have a nice little temper that comes along with it. What will add fuel to my already blazing fire is that my normally very patient and easy going husband will become unbelievably stubborn and hard headed when we argue. I am sure he would tell you that my "passion" adds fuel to his fire as well. Needless to say, not a great combination. We are both working everyday on handling our disagreements better. Yes, of course we are going to argue and disagree, but maybe we can actually do it in a way where I will not be apologizing later for my sharp tongue getting the best of me and he will not be apologizing for acting as though he did not care and not listening. I guess you could say we are working on keeping ourselves in check. If one of us feels the blood boiling and pipes starting to burst, lets take a minute to walk away so that we do not self implode. And with Sophie around, little ears and eyes are absorbing everything! I don't want to her to think that things are always perfect, but sometimes certain disagreements are better left behind closed doors for when she is not around.

I love the grass on my side and I want to keep it as green as possible but this takes work. We MUST have God at the center of our marriage to succeed! With God as the center of our marriage, we will always seek guidance from him and we will never truly faulter.

One thing that we try to do every evening together is a devotional. We are currently working through Devotions for Couples by Patrick Morley. I love it because it has sections regarding all the major areas of marriage such as intimacy, communiction, etc.

“God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was conceived and born in the mind of God.”  ~ Max Lucado

God gave us the gift of marriage. I treasure that gift and want to make it shine as bright as it can for his glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment