Monday, February 25, 2013

Mommy Monday - Mama Bear

As women, whether we want to admit it or not, we are well aware of the drama that is often attached to being female. At some point in our lives we have all been guilty of the girly drama. We may have been the one responsible for "stirring the pot" while other times we were the unfortunate target. I like to believe though that the drama is something we grow out of as we mature and learn what is really important and relevent in life.

Now as are only about two months away from Sophie's fourth birthday, I have already begun to witness the first signs of drama. Of course as her Mommy this is something I want to shield her from experiencing while at the same time trying to control my fierce mama bear reaction.
In the grande scheme of things, I don't think that being hauled off in handcuffs (bc I was defending my child while she was playing at the mall playground) is sending the right message to Sophie...however tempting it may be!

Every day I hear something new about the bullying epidemic in our schools and it frightens me. It seems as though "the system" is more concerned with protecting the bully and the image of their school than with taking charge and correcting the problem.

I  know this is only the very beginning of what is to come with Sophie. There are going to be many things and times that we will want to protect her. However, no matter how hard we try, it is impossible to do. Part of growing up is the life experiences bc they teach us valuable life lessons about others and ourselves. For now, we only strive to do our best by instilling in her morals and values and the difference between right and wrong. We respect others (even if we don't like them) and love people just as Jesus loves us.

And if that doesn't work, then we are just going to run away to a beautiful deserted island where I can keep her as my safe and protected baby for forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment