Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tummy Tuesday - Meat and Potatoes Type of Gal

I am a southern girl born and bred and there is nothing I love more then some good 'ole southern food - meat and potatoes!  Nothing can really beat a meal of homemade meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and rolls! That would most certainly be one my tops requests for a "last meal". 

Let's start with the meatloaf. This has to be homemade - no other option. I love ketchup on my meatloaf and a few other random things as well such as steak (I know I am horrible, Jeff reminds me of it) and especially scrambled eggs. Hey, don't knock it until you have tried it! Needless to say, this Ketchup-Glazed Meatloaf is right up my ally and so good! We usually have enough leftover for Jeff to have a meatloaf sandwich the next day too.


Homemade Mashed Potatoes - YES PLEASE!!! My daddy makes the very best mashed potatoes ever known to man!! After many years of practice, I am now proud to boast that my batches aren't too shabby either. However, they are still not as good as Daddy's! As for this recipe - it pretty much ends up being measurments to your own personal taste and preference.


For the three of us, we usually use 3-4 potatoes, depending on leftover requests. If your like me, I certainly do not care for the peel so we peel those bad boys. Slice them up to allow for quicker cooking and drop them on the stove to boil. About 20 minutes later you should be ready to roll. Place the potatoes in a mixer along with milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Now, if you like your potatoes thick - go light on the milk, maybe just 1/4 of a cup. Just call me Paula Dean with the amount of butter we use and I will leave at that. Litterly tablespoons of butter as I mix it all together until I get it tasting just right. Same with salt and pepper as well. My newest addition is the sour cream. Holy cow - this totally sets them off just right. Mix in the sour cream, again to taste. The great thing is that as you are mixing, you can just add in all of the other ingredients (besides milk, unless you like your potatoes a bit runny) to taste. FYI - too much sour cream will have the same affect as the milk and cause them to be a bit runny.

Now, considering I just rocked two homemade items, I am A-OK with making the rest from a box. I earned my free pass right?! At our house we love Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Sister Schubert Rolls. Seriously, if you have not had these rolls you must get them - NOW!! They taste just like the homemade rolls my grandma used to make. Ok, I know that sounds like a commercial but seriously, they do!
  

 Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment